Blog Header

Blog Header

Wednesday 30 November 2016

MoHo Trip No. 4: Loire Valley, Part 1

When my brother was staying with us in the early summer we took advantage to get away in the moho together. My bro hasn't seen a lot of France outside of some major cities which he's visited for rugby matches, and of course the Alps/Jura where we used to live. K and I visited the Loire Valley about 20 years ago so we were all happy to get out of Brittany and go somewhere else for a change. It's just about do-able for a short break (we had three nights) but as we soon realised, you really need at least a week, if not more, to see the area properly. It's full of interesting places, quite aside from all the chateaux!

Our first port of call was outside of the Loire Valley or the Touraine as it's known in France, but sort of on the way. My brother had done a bit of research and came up with a Japanese garden that sounded interesting. Well interesting it certainly was and I would never have known of its existence if he hadn't mentioned it. I'm talking about the Parc Oriental de Maulévrier which is just outside of Cholet, between Nantes and Saumur.

I won't go into all its history as that is covered in English on their website (and in more detail in French), but suffice to say it is the usual case of a beautiful garden falling into disrepair after the war, and being brought back to life by careful renovation work in more recent decades, following original plans and photos. The town council own the park now which is separate from the chateau, Chateau Colbert, which is privately owned. The gardens were inspired by the Edo period in Japanese history and this has been recognised by visiting Japanese horticultural professors. It is now apparently the largest Japanese themed garden in Europe.

We spent a really enjoyable afternoon here - whether you are into gardening/gardens or not, just come for a walk - and bring your camera!! Here are some of the many photos that I took.

Chateau Colbert (what a view they have.....)


Cloud pruning, as you will see in the following photos, was everywhere. I absolutely love it, though did wonder how on earth they managed to prune the many trees that jutted out over the lake!


The Pagoda



Khmer Temple



OK so how do they prune these trees then?! They must have scaffolding out over the water once or twice a year.



The bridge must be one of the most photographed parts of the garden, along with the pagoda.



A mallard having a preen of its beautiful feathers for the camera.


The far end of the lake.



From the far end are wonderful views back over the lake and the Chateau.



The planting was special with amazing maples - I fell in love with this tree and its seed pods (I don't know what it is, either maple or sycamore).


Of course there was a building with bonsai trees on display. There's a Salon de Thé and a boutique here too.


I didn't see many butterflies but in the sensory garden at the far end of the lake I came across these Meadow Browns.


The walk back on the other side of the lake - cloud pruning (if that is what it is called here) is still in evidence on these low lying shrubs. I love this style too but it must be oh so labour intensive.


The small purple tree here is 'my' Forest Pansy! I've never seen this tree planted anywhere else other than my garden and another in Rosie's, a fellow blogger's, garden in Scotland. Not very Japanese as I know it comes from N. America! It's Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy' to give it its full name, known to N. Americans as the Eastern Redbud tree.


So that concludes the tour, but as I haven't any pictures of Mary Moho, here's one from home of K taking clothes on board. Well, it is a Moho trip after all....


More to come from the Loire Valley trip! 


18 comments:

  1. We should visit these places Mandy - seldom do. Great photos. Actually, you're saving me the need to visit. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can visit gardens one day when you retire from rock climbing and hill running. :-)

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! Lovely looking garden, inviting water indeed. And the idea of having a motorhome is cool, although I can't drive. Maybe a bicycle caravan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I've seen a bicycle trailer that is a mini camper! Cheers Simon.

      Delete
  3. Great photos Mandy, I will have to write the name of the garden down. Would be really nice to visit there.Sabine xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a magnificent garden, beautiful photos, thanks for sharing. xx

    Philippa

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a superb garden restoration. Gorgeous photos Mandy and I do love those Cloud Trees - never seen anything like that before. The lake and pagoda bridge are beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing Mandy and I look forward to reading more of your Loire Valley Trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Caroline. I've seen cloud pruning on the tv and also think I've seen some shrubs pruned like this in a garden centre, although I can't remember if it was in France or England. I think it's becoming trendy! No idea which shrubs or trees are suited to this kind of pruning though, and I wouldn't know where to start. :-)

      Delete
  6. Great photos and what a treat for the eye, those beautiful landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some superb photography here Mandy, amazing scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks a lovely place to wander around. There must be an awful lot of pruning going on there! I've always wanted to visit the Loire Valley, so look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. I am failing miserably with keeping up my blog but will endeavour to post something soon!

      Delete
  9. Hi Mandy, sorry I have not been right good at keeping up with your posts, you have been to some lovely places... Are you home for Christmas...
    Where ever you are have a lovely Christmas and New Year.
    Amanda xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, thanks so much for finding the time to comment, as I know you are really busy. We are home for Xmas as usual, just us two. I wish you a lovely Xmas too and a Happy New Year. xx

      Delete