Blog Header

Blog Header

Saturday 18 June 2016

The Devon County Show

I've wanted to go to a British agricultural show for years as I have seen snippets of them on the TV and they look so interesting. So I was really pleased when my brother told me that the Devon County Show in Exeter was on during the time that we would be in England. Apparently this is only a small show compared to the more famous large ones like the Bath and West, but they must be enormous because I thought the showground at Exeter was huge! 

There was so much to see and do here that two days would have been better. One day to walk around all the stalls, exhibits and animals, and another to watch the displays in the various show rings. Even so, one would miss things as there were about four different events going on at any one time in various different rings!

We caught up with some friends who now live in Devon when we first arrived, which was great. After that we mooched around all day trying to fit in as much as possible. 

I only took photos with my phone as I wasn't going to lug a camera around with me all day.

First, before I show you the many photos that I took, I want to tell you about something very brave that I did. At this showground is the new Devon Eye. It cost more than £1 million pounds to build and erect! However I am scared of heights and get vertigo so I look at these things and say "never in a million years!". And that is how I felt until we were close up to it and I watched some people going round, then thought that maybe it wasn't really so scary after all. I half jokingly said to my OH and bro "Who fancies going on the Eye then?" to which their responses were a firm "No way". Well after a while of looking at it and umming and ahhing, I thought that really I could cope if I had family to hold my hand, so asked them to come with me. My brother said "These things aren't safe" and my hubby just said "Waste of money". So in a complete moment of madness I decided to go up there ON MY OWN!!! My heart was pounding as I walked up to buy a ticket; when the man asked me if it was just the one ticket I started babbling incoherently about how I was terrified of heights and none of my family would come with me and because I was terrified of heights and suffer from vertigo that's exactly WHY I was going on it. He smiled and said the ride was gentle! And so I got on.....

...... and had an absolute ball! It was amazing, I felt totally safe and secure and loved seeing the views over the showgrounds and the countryside beyond. Halfway up I remembered to take some photos then remembered my phone has a selfie function so struggled with that (hence the squinting serious look on my face), then we were back round to the bottom all too soon. Luckily we got two revolutions for our money (£5) so the second time I could just enjoy the views. I got off absolutely exhilarated and could happily have gone up there again. I now feel that I could do the London Eye and every time I feel fearful of something I tell myself "Mandy, you CAN do it". That's not going to work for everything but it has given me an enormous boost and I still feel really chuffed about it. :-)



Back to the show - there were many horsey events going on in various rings, from in hand showing to heavy horses to show jumping.


I think this was the ridden Mountain and Moorland ponies class.


The tent with poultry and rabbits - I took these photos because they are Randy, Dirk and Rachel!


The tent with locally produced products:

Oh My. Flapjacks. And there was Cake galore too. Yes I did partake. :-)


Amazing cheese in perfect blocks. One of those blocks of cheddar would have been good to bring home to France - could have lasted a while!


This was amazing - a cheese 'wedding cake'. Available to buy at an exhorbitant price.


Locally produced cider.


Yummy bread.


There was a tent full of alpacas.


I wanted to watch the heavy horse show but it was sad that there were not many entrants so in some of the classes there were only two competitors! But at least that meant the loser actually got a 2nd class rosette.



This next huge marquee contained the floral art exhibition/competition down one end. I absolutely adored the floral art - there were themes and it was so interesting to see how the exhibitors interpreted these themes. My OH found it extremely boring though but luckily for him there was a cafe in the middle of the marquee so he spent his time there!



The theme for this next one was something like the bottom of the sea. I really like this one.


This was my overall favourite - I forget what the theme was and it only won 2nd prize, but I loved the textures and the amazing bright flowers which contrast against the bark.


All the while we were serenaded by gentle music - if you look hard you can see a very bored tall man in sunglasses standing at the back in the middle. I however had only just started looking at the florals... :-)


There were a few plant displays too but the cacti caught my eye as they are so stunning in bloom. 


This was labelled as a Shepherd's Hut and a little garden had been made all around it - I thought it was all delightful.


Finally we found the cattle - here are some bulls awaiting their wash and brush up. We didn't see any cattle or agricultural animals on show though. I would have liked that but with one day you can't see it all!


In the giant hall where the cows were resting before or after their showing event. These are Guernseys. I always get annoyed at how bony the poor milking cows are, but my brother who has a farming background says it's normal. Hmmmmm. I don't like to see it.  Look at the difference between the bulls' rumps and theirs.


We watched a display of motorcycle acrobatics; this was after the Shetland Grand National. Both were great fun but the ponies were so fast I didn't bother trying to take photos of them. I have however managed to get a man and motorbike flying through the air here!


The final event of the day in the main ring was the top class of show jumping. The horse flesh here was of the rather expensive top class kind.  In the foreground is the practice ring and the jumps were very high!


We never did find the real ale tent which didn't appear to be where it was marked on the map, unless it had a hidden entrance somewhere. A bit disappointing for the boys. We also completely missed the Bees and Honey tent, having meant to go back and visit later! We didn't see the displays of Falconry although I did pass the birds, and I'd have liked to see the Police Dog display too. We missed the pigs too, shame as I love pigs. Oh so much to see and do!  I did have fun mooching about the stalls selling crafts and the like though, and bought myself a little sort of stained glass butterfly ornament, which you put a tea light behind to show off the pretty glass.

I hope I get a chance to go back one day. This was really the highlight of my trip to England and the best fun I've had in years! 

17 comments:

  1. I knew you were brave enough to do 'eye' type things. Tomorrow the world!

    Good fun these shows but I do get a bit bored after 3 or 4 hours. We went to the Sottish Garden Show a couple of weeks ago. Always like that these days you can get a good coffee and cake.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. However... I'll never be brave enough to go rock climbing with you! ;-) Well I'm not fit enough, that's my excuse. I have done Chelsea Flower Show in less than 4 hours, but I got there really early and it was on member's day so less busy than general public days. But this show was much more fun!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No real ale tent.... I would be walking straight out! Well done on over coming you fear of heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really weird and we weren't the only ones who couldn't find it either, as my brother heard other people saying, 'it's supposed to be around here'. Oh well! Cheers Ian. :-)

      Delete
  4. That is great to hear that you overcame your fear of heights - how brilliant. No wonder you feel chuffed. I went to the Devon County Show once - well over 30 years ago when I lived in Devon. I remember the rain most of all! I think now if I went I'd head straight for the bee tent. But I love the shepherd's Hut. It does conjure up a romantic lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. We were lucky with the weather and there was no mud! Can't believe we forgot to go back to the bee tent but there was just so much going on! :-)

      Delete
  5. Well done at getting on the ride, nothing going to stop you now.
    Love these kinda shows,we have quite a few round here, I like looking at the sheep and all the fancy chickens.
    The Shepherd's but would look good in your garden.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. I'd love a shepherd's hut like that - like a gypsy caravan but with modern materials. It would be a great cosy garden retreat! I like the fancy chickens too, and ducks. xx

      Delete
  6. Yes well done on getting on the Devon Eye, very brave especially on your own!
    Lovely photos, a nice reminder of our time spent there which was much shorter than yours due to other commitments etc...
    Just catching up on your previous blogs as I have been busy the last couple of weeks.

    Philippa xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philippa, still can't believe that I did the Eye! It was great seeing you and I can well imagine why you are busy at the moment! Hope all is well with the family. xx

      Delete
  7. Well done Mandy, you showed those bunch of Wimps. (:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right I did, Roy! I kept telling them they were scaredy cats but they insisted it was not because they were scared of heights..... :-)

      Delete
  8. I told you that you'd love the eye and that it is very slow and calm. Congratulations on being so brave Mandy! It looked and sounded like a fabulous day overall and I am so glad you enjoyed yourself so much.
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos and interesting telling of the day once again. You really are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much, Kim! This was such a super day out it needed a whole post to itself. And I'm still really pleased with myself for going on the Eye! :-) xx

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness Mandy you are SO brave. I hate heights too (in fact, refused point blank to go on the London Eye to celebrate OH's 50th birthday) so I can imagine just how you must have felt. Well done for facing up to the fear, especially on your own!!!, and I am so pleased you enjoyed it.

    The County Show looks a wonderful day out and such lovely floral art displays. I really like the Shepherd's Hut too!! :)

    So sorry for the late comment but we have been away in Devon for a week and, although I spent some time on my Kindle on Twitter, I didn't really visit blogs as I got so fed up with trying to type on that silly keyboard let alone the annoying predictive text!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline - I hoped you were away rather than anything nasty! I know what you mean about the Kindle. Now that I can type again it is a nuisance typing anything more than a few brief lines on the Kindle (or on my phone). I hope you had a lovely time and that we'll see your posts soon! I'll be away most of this coming week so will catch up with you soon.

      We should do (or try to) the London Eye together, I'll hold your hand! :-))))))))) Thank you. xx

      Delete