Blog Header

Blog Header

Monday 23 July 2012

The much maligned 'Cabbage White' butterfly

I can just picture it, the veggie gardeners amongst you, throwing up your arms in horror! You know, I would have agreed with you, and even last year when I started taking photos of butterflies, I didn't even bother with the whites. They always seemed rather boring, were everywhere and were the cause of umpteen hours spent caterpillar squidging; time that could have been better spent elsewhere.

But this year I've been taking a few photos of them. At first it was because they were just about the only butterfly around, and then because I realised that up close, they were actually very pretty indeed.




What we know of as 'Cabbage Whites' are actually Large Whites (Pieris brassicae) and Small Whites (Pieris rapae). The Large Whites are the ones whose caterpillars are those hairy green and yellowy ones. The smooth green caterpillars come from the Small White. There's even a Green Veined White (Pieris napi) which I only recently heard about as I realised I'd taken a photo of one (albeit distantly, so not worth sharing). That one is also a brassica lover.


I often use this site for butterfly ID, as it shows all the usual UK (and that means Brittany too) butterflies, both male and female, wings closed and wings open. Even so I find it a bit hard sometimes to tell the difference between Large and Small, male and female, so I'm not going to attempt that here, and it'd probably bore the pants off you anyway ;-)


There are other white butterflies such as the Wood White and the Black Veined White, neither of which I've ever seen, but whose caterpillars feed on various grasses so we brassica growers have nothing to fear.

Then there's the Marbled White, which incidentally isn't classed as a 'white' (Pieridae) at all, but is part of the family of Nymphalidae, which includes the browns! Again, another grassland butterfly whose caterpillars feed on various grasses. I see them occasionally during the summer flitting about in wilder parts of my garden, across the lawned areas and near the pond, but I've never seen one stop and feed from a Verbena in my more cultivated garden area, so this is the first photo I've ever had the chance to get!

Marbled White (Melanargia galathea)

The one thing that does please me (it won't most of you, probably), is that no matter how many of the brassica munching caterpillars we squidge, there is never a shortage of Cabbage White butterflies, so I don't think there's any risk of them becoming rare any time soon!

Oh - and every flower here the butterflies are feeding on is Verbena bonariensis. Want butterflies? Get some seeds and grow this really easy plant! Read more about it here in My Top Garden Plants series.

2 comments:

  1. I live in northern Illinois. I brought in a plant pot full of carrots and a small catnip plant inside my house late last October. Just three days ago to my surprise I found a cabbage white female butterfly flitting around my living room! Imagine seeing one of these in the middle of winter, January 24th to be exact, with a foot of snow on the ground outside.

    Now I have her in a large glass container with lace for a lid, fake plants (sorry, I have a black thumb for indoor plants), and a sponge I soak every day with hummingbird nectar for her to sip. So far, Miracle seems happy enough and my cat loves watching “Butterfly Tv” (she’s not a hunter).

    Never imagined a little butterfly could bring so much joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s an amazing story! I am happy for you. I hope Miracle survives long enough to be able to go outside in the spring and to find a male and do as nature intended. Even if not, you are doing the right thing for her and that’s so kind. So many people would have just put the butterfly outside to its certain death in the cold.
      Thanks for letting me know!

      Mandy (commenting as Anon because I’m on my iPad at the moment, which always makes me anonymous).

      Delete