Blog Header

Blog Header

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Better damselfly photos!

No sooner do I post two quite inferior shots of damselflies by the pond, but the next day I got lucky and saw several more, which willingly obliged to model for me and so I managed some decent photos. I have to share them here!

In the afternoon I spotted this one by the pond, the same species which I saw in the morning, which I'll come to next. I'm now not daring to go outside without my compact camera with me as there are so many photo opportunites which I'll miss if I don't have a camera to hand.

Blue Tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans)

Now earlier on in the day I thought I'd go stand by the pond for a few minutes in the hope that something metallic blue would flit by and I might have a chance. Only to realise that these two tiny beauties were actually sitting still in some of the vegetation beside the water! They are so tiny and slender they are really easy to miss!

Can you even see them? I'm bending down taking this, thought they'd
fly off so my trick is to take photos whilst creeping closer, bit by bit.

For a very brief while they both stayed then one flew off.

This one posed beautifully for me, not seeming to mind a camera a few inches away from it!



And then the sun shone and reflected off the damselfly and looking at the photos I discovered
that they are hairy! I'd never have known.

So, onwards and upwards. I just hope more come by in different colours (have seen some in different colours in previous years but some years are better than others). Also a dragonfly would be nice - and much easier to try to focus on!

Overall, I'm really chuffed with these :-)

4 comments: